Individuals and clergy members continue to look for meaningful prayers and meditations to use to commemorate the attacks of September 11, 2001. Here’s an annotated list of prayers suitable for public and private memorials, including “A Liturgy for 9-11,” written for the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the U.S. Please email this page to anyone who may be in need of a memorial prayer or a prayer for healing.
- At the Hand of Terror: A 9-11 Yizkor Prayer – A memorial prayer to be said for specific victims
- At the Hand of Terror II: A 9-11 Memorial Prayer – A general memorial prayer to be said for all victims
- Memorial Prayer for 9-11 First Responders – To honor the fallen first responders
- At the Hand of Violence: A Yizkor Prayer – A memorial all who died by violence
- For 9-11 Survivors – For healing 9/11 survivors
- For Terror Survivors – For healing terror survivors
- For Bereaved Children – For healing children who’ve lost parents
- For the Bereaved – For healing all who are bereaved
Prayers for a Better World
- For First Responders – For the safety of all first responders
- To the Terrorist – For the terrorist to find a new path
- Against Tyranny – A prayer against oppressive regimes
The original four prayers in “A Liturgy for 9-11” were written to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the attack. See that post to read the story of how and why I wrote these prayers. The response to the original post was overwhelming. Here’s a link to an overview of some of the ways these prayers were used as part of 10th commemoration activities.
All of these works are © 2011-2013 Alden Solovy and www.tobendlight.com. All rights reserved.
Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons, the “Tribute in Light” memorial is composed of two banks of high wattage spotlights that point straight up from a lot next to Ground Zero. The photo was taken from Liberty State Park, N.J., on the five-year anniversary of 9/11.