Here’s a digest of memorial prayers with links. Some are written in the form of traditional yizkor prayers and focus on classic themes of mourning. Others address modern social issues, such as organ donation and death by violence. This also list includes pieces that address grief after death:
- In Memory of an Organ Donor – To be said for an organ donor.
- At the Hand of Violence – To be said for one who dies by violence.
- Tears of Crystal, Tears of Broken Glass – For those lost in the Holocaust.
- For the Bereaved – A prayer for healing from grief after a death.
- For Bereaved Children – A prayer for children facing a death.
- At the Hand of Terror – To be said for those died as a result of 9-11.
- Memorial Prayer for 9-11 First Responders – A prayer for 9-11 first responders.
- At the Hand of Terror II – A 9-11 memorial prayer.
- Yizkor for First Responders – To be said for first responders, particularly those died in the line of duty. This prayer is posted as part of “A Liturgy for 9-11.”
- After Shiva – A meditation about healing in the quiet after a shiva ends.
Please subscribe by submitting your email via the box in the upper right of this page. For reprint permissions, see “Share the Prayer!” in the right hand column.